(0 people have added this recipe to their favorites.)
South African farm roosterbrood is a quick bread to make and uses instant yeast, not leaven. See the photos of the long roll of dough and the wedges being cooked over a fire. Photos and recipe courtesy Carole Paxton.
- 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) brown or white bread flour
- 10 grams (1/3 ounce) instant yeast
- 15 milliliters (3 teaspoons) sugar
- 15 milliliters (3 teaspoons) salt
- 1 litre (4 cups) lukewarm water
Mix all the dry ingredients and the water and knead to form a soft dough. Cover and leave to rise for about 1 hour to double in volume, then knead again. Roll the dough into a long roll about 2 inches in diameter. Cut into 2 inch slices. Flatten these slightly and shape into squares. Grill over slow coals. Delicious!