Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
How exciting to purchase, renovate or remodel a home. A housewarming party is a great way to celebrate such an accomplishment by opening your doors to family, friends and neighbors.
These housewarming etiquette tips will help you make a good impression as a host or guest.
Housewarming Etiquette for the Host
- When hosting a house warming party, try to give your guests as much advance notice as possible. I suggest mailing formal invitations three weeks prior to the event. Make sure to include directions to your home especially if you live in a new housing development that may not be reflected in a navigational system.
- Do not include gift registry notifications within your invitation. It is improper to imply or suggest your guests bring gifts to this type of event. It is okay to register at a home store, but only share this information when asked.
- In preparation for the party, make sure your home is nicely presentable by storing all moving boxes.
- Whether your housewarming is of a casual or formal nature, the expectation is that hors d’oeuvres or a meal will be served.
- During the housewarming, allow each guest to tour your home. This can easily be done if you host an open house-style party in which guests stop by anytime during an allotted time span.
- It is likely that you will receive gifts to welcome you to your new home, but do not open them during the party.
- Send personalized thank you notes within a week or two to friends and family who came to your party and/or presented you with a gift.
Housewarming Etiquette for Guests
- As a guest attending a housewarming party, always adhere to the general guidelines of party etiquette.
- Respond to the invitation in a timely manner.
- Be timely and greet the host upon your arrival.
- Be sociable, meet new people and do not expect the host to entertain you throughout the entire event.
- Congratulate the person on the new home and compliment the house, decorations or interior design.
- Even though the host is not to expect a gift, it is proper to bring a gift. Housewarming gifts can include towels, kitchenware, a simple plant, a home improvement gift certificate, candles, wine or items from a store registry. Most items for the home will likely be appreciated. Present your gift discretely and do not expect the host to open it during the party.
- Before leaving, thank the host for inviting you and mention how much you enjoyed yourself.