Recipe is courtesy of Jazz Smollett of CLEO TV as featured on her new show, “LIVING BY DESIGN WITH JAKE AND JAZZ.”
6 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1⁄4 cup honey
1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Two 6-well doughnut pans Pastry bag or Ziploc® bag
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 6- well doughnut pans with baking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl in the microwave on high, about 1 minute. Whisk in the sugar until completely combined, then whisk in the egg.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Fold half the flour mixture into the sugar mixture with a rubber spatula and combine completely. Stir in the buttermilk until smooth, then fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape the doughnut batter into a pastry bag, snip the tip, and evenly pipe the batter into the doughnut molds. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the doughnuts turn a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the doughnuts cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove them to a cooling rack for glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk together in a medium bowl the confectioners’ sugar, honey, and 1⁄4 cup water until smooth. Whisk together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Dip each doughnut in the glaze on both sides, then immediately dip one side of each into the cinnamon- sugar mixture, and serve. Store the doughnuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days