Recipe is courtesy of Jake and Jazz Smollett of CLEO TV as featured on, “LIVING BY DESIGN WITH JAKE AND JAZZ.”
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely diced
2 pounds ground chicken
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
2 handfuls fresh cilantro chopped
One 15 ounce can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
Two 14.5-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with 1 can of juice (drained)
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 cups shredded Monterey jack (12 ounces)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup shredded pepper jack (about 4 ounces)
3 12-inch flour tortillas
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons Mexican hot sauce
1 vine-ripened tomato, thinly sliced
1 Hass avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add the onion and jalapeno, and saute until soft, 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken ad season it with the chili powder, cumin, salt, and half the cilantro
- Cook the chicken until it’s browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beans and diced tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and add half the green onions (you want them to keep a nice crunch)
- Mix the cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 5 minutes to get them a little crunchy.
- Remove from the oven and build the lasagna. Layer one tortilla at the bottom of a cast iron pan then top with one-third of the cheese blend and top with a second tortilla.
- Add half of the remaining chicken mixture, then half the remaining cheese, and top with the remaining tortilla.
- Spread the remaining chicken mixture and cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Set aside to cool slightly before serving.
- Whisk together the sour cream and hot sauce in a small bowl. Top the lasagna with tomato and avocado slices, the remaining green onions and cilantro, and the spicy sour cream.