Servings: 2 / Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 bacon slices, crumbled into big pieces
1 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Spice N’ Herbs Seasoning, divided
2 cups onion, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cups fresh corn kernels
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half or coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Pepper Sauce
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced for garnish
¼ cup chives, chopped for garnish
- In a large pot on medium heat, heat oil then add bacon and fry for 5 minutes, until crispy. Line a plate with paper towels then transfer bacon to plate, leaving fat in pot. Add shrimp to pot and season with 1/2 teaspoon of Tony’s Spice N’ Herbs Seasoning. Sauté shrimp for 3-4 minutes until done. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a bowl, leaving juices in pot.
- Add onions to pot and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until golden. Stir in garlic and thyme then sauté for 2 more minutes. Add corn, stock, half and half or coconut milk, 1/2 teaspoon Tony’s Spice N’ Herbs Seasonings and Tony’s Pepper Sauce to pot. Stir and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Remove sprigs of thyme and discard.
- Working in batches, use an immersion blender or blender to blend soup until creamy. Carefully add soup in small amounts. Remove center of blender lid to allow steam to escape, then cover with dish towel to prevent spilling. Return to pot and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve in bowls, then top each serving with shrimp and bacon and garnish with bell pepper and chives.
TIPS & NOTES:
1. Bisque is a rich and creamy soup, typically made with shellfish.
2. This recipe can also be made with crab, lobster and turkey bacon.
This recipe was sponsored by Tony Chachere's. For products and recipe ideas, visit www.tonychachere.com.
This Creole Shrimp and Bacon Bisque recipe was created by Chef Nikki Shaw.