Recipe is courtesy of Jazz Smollett of CLEO TV as featured on her new show, “LIVING BY DESIGN WITH JAKE AND JAZZ.”
Watch how Smollett makes the recipe with this clip from the show.
1⁄2 pound (2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
3⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt Confectioners’ sugar, for serving
edible flowers, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan with 1⁄2 tablespoon of the butter.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan, lay it in the pan, and grease the top and sides of the parchment paper with another 1⁄2 tablespoon of the butter. Dust the bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon of cocoa and tap out the excess.
- Place the remaining 1⁄2 pound (2 sticks) butter and the chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, until melted. Remove and stir until completely combined.
- Whisk in the granulated sugar, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until completely combined.
- Then whisk in the 3⁄4 cup cocoa and stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool 10 minutes, then remove it from the cake pan by inverting it onto a tray.
- Carefully flip the cake right side up and dust with confectioners’ sugar and decorate with edible flowers before serving. The cake is best served immediately but may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.