Recipe is courtesy of Jazz Smollett of CLEO TV as featured on her new show, “LIVING BY DESIGN WITH JAKE AND JAZZ.”
3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 Japanese eggplant, cut into 6-8 pieces
10 garlic cloves
½ red onion, finely diced
½ cup liquid aminos
¼ cup rice vinegar
½ cup sherry or dry white wine
1-inch piece ginger, minced
½ cup bamboo shoots
1 cup quinoa, cooked according to the package directions
3 green onions, sliced
2 Fresno chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
sriracha for serving, optional
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large wok or heavy- bottomed skillet. When the oil is almost smoking, add half of the garlic by grating it into the pan and then add in the red onion and saute until golden. Then add in the eggplant and cook until brown. Pour in half of the liquid aminos, rice vinegar, and wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Grate in the ginger and toss in the bamboo shoots then stir to combine and set aside.
- Separately, cut the rest of the garlic into thin slices and saute in the remaining sesame oil. Add shiitake mushrooms and saute until golden in color.
- Add in the quinoa followed by ¼ cup liquid aminos, 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, and green onion. Stir to combine and let the liquid absorb into the quinoa.
- Turn off the heat, toss in the cilantro and serve the eggplant over top of the quinoa.
- Drizzle with a little sriracha or top with the fresno chili if desired
For more about “The Family Table: Recipes from a Nomadic Life,” be sure to read our Book Grub review.