6-8 chicken legs
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons mustard powder
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons pepper
Divide spice blend in half and use to season chicken and flour
½ cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Wash and pat chicken completely dry, leaving skin on.
- Season chicken with spice blend and coat in seasoned flour.
- Pour cooking oil onto a 9/12 parchment-lined baking sheet. Shake access flour off of the chicken.
- Place chicken legs on a baking sheet ¼ inch apart (allows steam to escape, which creates crispy skin).
- Roast oven for 20 minutes. Turn legs to over halfway through and cook for 20 more minutes allowing the other side to crisp as well.
- Remove from oven and place legs on a cooling rack to drain access oil and serve hot.
TIPS & NOTES
- While the chicken is in the oven, coat any veggies (broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc.) with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and add to the oven for a complete sheet pan meal.
- Drizzle chicken with BBQ sauce, honey mustard or honey sauce while it’s resting on the cooling rack. You can also place the chicken back in the oven after coating it with sauce to allow the sauce to adhere to the chicken, creating a glazed, crispy skin.
- Use 40-minute oven cooking time to help with homework, spend quality family time, prepare for the next day or just relax.
- Chicken can be made crispier by using a dredge. Season chicken, coat with seasoned flour, coat with seasoned buttermilk or beaten eggs, coat with seasoned panko, spray with cooking oil, then add to parchment-lined baking sheet. A lot of steps for busy school nights, but worth the effort when you have the time.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Razia Sabour, winner of “The Great Soul Food Cook-Off.” Follow her on Instagram for more recipe ideas.