1 cup cooking oil
1 cup water
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons salt
2.2 pounds cassava starch
3 to 4 eggs
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan, place oil, water, milk and salt. Heat over medium heat until boiling.
- In a bowl, place the cassava starch. Open a hole in the middle and pour the boiling milk mixture. With a spoon, quickly mix the hot milk in the starch until it scorches completely.
- Add 3 to 4 eggs and mix. Add the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated and the dough is smooth. With a spoon, take small portions of dough, make balls (size of a golf ball) and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a medium oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
TIPS AND NOTES
- You can freeze any cheese balls you don’t bake.
This recipe is courtesy of Chef Oumar Diouf of The Damel in Oakland, Calif. For more tips on how to prepare Brazilian, Afro Brazilian and West African foods at home, be sure to read our article, “Chefs Tips for Bringing the World into Your Kitchen” for their tips and techniques.