1 cup mashed sweet potato
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups old-fashioned grits
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2-4 tablespoons green onion, chopped for garnish
- Pierce the sweet potato a few times with a fork and bake or microwave until soft.
- Remove the skin and mash. Set aside.
- Bring a quart of vegetable broth and 2 cups of grits to a boil in a medium-sized pot.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Once the grits start to soak up the broth, add in the coconut milk and garlic powder then stir.
- Fold in the sweet potato and butter. Lastly, season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped green onion.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jernard Wells, host of New Soul Kitchen on CLEO TV.