Recipe is courtesy of Porsche Thomas of Cleo TV as featured on her new show, “New Soul Kitchen.”
Yield: 4-8 servings | Total Time: 1 hour
¼ cup raw cashews soaked at least 4 hours
1-pound butternut squash cut into ½ inch cubes
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
½ teaspoon hot sauce
¾ cups water
1 ½ cups almond milk
6 tablespoons Earth Balance spread
2 cups Daiya© pepper jack-style cheese
2 cups Daiya© cheddar-style cheese, ½ cup separated
1 pound vegan whole wheat macaroni
½ cup vegan breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread out squash on sheet and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt, then toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes and flip and roast for another 20 minutes until fork tender. Let cool an reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta until al dente, the pasta should have a bite to it and drain water. You do not want to overcook the pasta since it will bake in the oven.
- Drain and rinse cashews then place in a blender. Juice half of the lemon into the blender and add in raw garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, chili powder, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, hot sauce, and water then blend until smooth.
- Pour on your desired amount of sauce and stir to combine. Stir in Earth Balance and mix until it begins to melt. Add in Daiya© cheeses (excluding removed portions) and almond milk. Allow to heat through until cheese becomes gooey and creamy.
- Transfer mac and cheese to a baking dish and top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs evenly. Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes until cheese begins to bubble. Allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving.