1 bunch of asparagus, cut ½ inch from stems
buttermilk for soaking
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup plain Panko bread crumbs
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups canola or vegetable oil, to fry
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
- Place asparagus in a large bowl. Pour buttermilk over the asparagus and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and ½ cup of buttermilk together in a bowl large enough to hold asparagus. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup of flour and all bread crumbs in a large bowl. (If using parmesan cheese place in a bowl). Season with salt and pepper.
- Place other ½ cup of flour into a separate bowl.
- Put oil in a large skillet and place on medium heat for 3–5 minutes until oil is hot but not burning.
- One at a time, dip asparagus in plain flour, then egg and buttermilk mixture, then in bread crumb mixture. Set aside until all of the asparagus is breaded.
- Fry prepared asparagus in hot oil until brown and crisp, 1–2 minutes on each side. Drain on a paper towel.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.