8 plantains or green bananas, cut into medium dice
juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Serrano chilis, chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 pound cube or chuck steak, diced into large pieces
2 cups beefsteak tomatoes, medium diced
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups beef stock or broth
salt to taste
- Toss the plantains with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high flame. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion is cooked through and soft but not burned. Add garlic, chilis and coriander and continue to cook for another minute.
- Stir in beef, tomatoes and cilantro and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add beef stock or broth and season with salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the plantains and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the beef is tender and the plantains have softened. Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
TIPS & NOTES
Blanch plantains about 30 seconds in boiling water to remove skins more easily.