Servings: 10 slices
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 ½ cups white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
4 extra-large eggs, room temperature
2 cups purée sweet potatoes, about 2 to 3 medium sweet potatoes
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
Marshmallow Creme Glaze
1 7 or 8-ounce jar Marshmallow Creme
2 ounces cream cheese spread, room temperature
¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted or whisked
1 tablespoon evaporated milk (may need more)
¾ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Wrap the sweet potatoes in a layer of aluminum foil, place it on a 9-inch round cake pan, and bake until a fork or knife easily pierces the flesh, about 35 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and remove the foil and peel the skin off, transfer the sweet potato into a bowl and mash using a potato masher. Pour the mashed sweet potatoes into a blender or food processor, add in a little water (if needed) and purée until smooth.
- In a medium or large bowl, add in the marshmallow creme, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and evaporated milk; whisk until well incorporated and silky. You may also use a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix on medium speed.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Spray a 10-inch Bundt cake pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, sift or whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the oil, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, orange juice and purée sweet potatoes and whisk everything together until well blended. Slowly add in the flour mixture and continue mixing until well combined (be careful not to over mix).
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared Bundt pan, shake and bang the pan a few times to get the air bubbles out. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest in the pan for 10 to 20 minutes then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Then place the pound cake onto a cake stand then drizzle the marshmallow creme glaze on top and immediately sprinkle with chopped pecans and serve.
TIPS & NOTES
- Cover cake with a cake topper and let it sit overnight to deepen the sweet potato flavor.
MORE RECIPES BY BRITTANY MOORE
Seafood Cornbread Dressing