The neck bones are marinated overnight in jerk spices, seared on the charcoal grill for color and flavor then slow cooked in the oven. One thing is for certain, these neck bones are NOT like the ones mama and em’ used to cook.
2 packages pork or beef neck bones
3-4 tablespoons jerk paste/marinade
Mike P’s Jerk Seasoning or other jerk seasoning to taste
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
PREPARATION – NECK BONES
- Marinate neck bones in jerk paste overnight or at least for 2 hours and season with jerk spices
- Grill on charcoal grill long enough for searing and coloring; about 25 minutes.
- Remove from grill, place on cookie sheet and cover loosely with foil.
- Cook until done in the oven on 350ºF.
PREPARATION – BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- Cut Brussel sprouts in half. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet.
- Sauté Brussel sprouts for 15 minutes, tossing constantly.
- Serve immediately with neck bones.
Recipe provided by Shelia Johnson, founder and executive producer of Gangsta Goodies Kitchen which shares a “keeping it real,” approach to cooking to inspire families and friends to get back in the kitchen with together. Check out the show on YouTube and don’t forget to follow her Facebook and Instagram.